Posted October 31st, 2009 @ 09:43am by Erik J. Barzeski
7. Do not announce your name. No jokes, no flirting, no cuteness.
8. Do not interrupt a conversation. For any reason. Especially not to recite specials. Wait for the right moment.
10. Do not inject your personal favorites when explaining the specials.
15. Never say "I don't know" to any question without following with, "I'll find out."
18. Know before approaching a table who has ordered what. Do not ask, "Who's having the shrimp?"
20. Never refuse to substitute one vegetable for another.
32. Never touch a customer. No excuses. Do not do it. Do not brush them, move them, wipe them or dust them.
34. Do not have a personal conversation with another server within earshot of customers.
41. Saying, "No problem" is a problem. It has a tone of insincerity or sarcasm. "My pleasure" or "You're welcome" will do.
43. Never mention what your favorite dessert is. It's irrelevant.
48. Do not ask what someone is eating or drinking when they ask for more; remember or consult the order.
- All of the ones dealing with wine never come into play with me - I'm not much of a drinker.↩