Subscribe to
NSLog(); Header Image

Camera Pole

DCR-PC101Thinking "out loud" here…

I have the Sony DCR-PC101. I'd like to create a monopod that can be shoved into the ground so that I can film myself (primarily filming my shots through a round of golf). I think that the construction should be in two parts: a base and a part that attaches to the camera. I envision one of two possibilities here:

  1. A pole I'd push into the ground with a flat "shelf" on top. I'd set the camera on there and go.
  2. A pole for driving into the ground with some sort of attachment mechanism to attach the camera (most likely through the tripod attachment screwhole on the bottom).

No sort of permanent attachment of camera-to-pole is acceptable, because I may have to push down on the pole to get it into some firmer ground now and then. A pole of 3' is acceptable. If there was some place to which I could attach a small level, well, that'd be even cooler. 🙂 I seem to recall seeing a pop bottle (20 oz.) camera stand recently, somewhere… (Ah, thank you PulpFiction search! Here it is!)

Any suggestions? Besides wandering around Home Depot looking for inspiration, I'm not sure what to do.

10 Responses to "Camera Pole"

  1. There are quick attachment systems where you screw a plate on the camera and clip it on the matching part on the tripod. I can give you brand names when I get home.

  2. I have a tripod with a detachable piece like you mention. The thing is I need it on a metal pole for easy carrying, storage, concealment (from golf course people), etc, not attached to an actual tripod.

  3. I meant to suggest that you attach such a thing on your metal pole so you can easily detach the camera before you jump on the pole to drive it into the ground.

  4. Indeed, that may do the trick. Wouldn't feel very "handy" or "craftsmanny" though would it? 🙂

  5. Some golf courses might have issues with you ramming the outline of a circle over and over again into their course. How do you feel when someone doesn't replace their divit? Either use a tripod which will have no ill effects on the course or have your partner film your drives.

  6. I'm thinking a railroad spike, a drill, and a tap. Just drill out the end of it, cut some threads to match the stud sticking out of the camera attachment, and away you go. The railroad spike is nice because it has decent weight, is fairly thin, and has a tapered edge by default. If you don't have one of them laying around you could just grind a point onto any metal rod and do the same. As far as levels go, you could tack weld (or tape) one to the pole and another to the bottom of the camera attachment (they come in small, unobtrusive sizes). You get the added benefit of it being a very manly and 'craftsmanny' addition to your golf club set, not to mention a weapon to keep varmints away 😛

  7. Check out these instructions for how to build a homemade steadycam:

    It's not exactly what you want, but it has some of the key concepts. The pole-to-camera attachment method works really well (yes, I built one of these). You would just have to change the bottom from a weight to a spike, and ditch the handle.

  8. Smykes, what the heck are you talking about?

    Some golf courses might have issues with you ramming the outline of a circle over and over again into their course.

    Huh? I'm talking about a 1/4" pole or rod. Y'know, about the thickness of a club's shaft. I always replace my divots - sticking a rod into the ground isn't going to do anything to the course.

    Railroad spike sounds too heavy and too short. They're not three feet tall. Most golf courses are going to be soft enough to just shove a pole into the ground - I'm not gonna be pounding the thing in with a hammer or anything. Just giving it a push and shoving it in the ground a few inches.

    Thanks for the pointer, dustin. That looks like it's got some good information.

  9. Find yourself a monopod trekking/hiking pole that has a camera screw mount built in. using a trekking pole as a monopod.

    For example:

    "The Kompderdell Guide Antishock Trekking Pole is a 3-section telescopic hiking pole with integrated Camera Mount System which allows you to convert the Guide easily into a monopod."

  10. Have a look at the Manfrotto monopods. As mentioned, you can get quick release plates so that with the flick of a catch the camera can be detached. And the 682B model (different code in us - have a look at has small feet - a la a tripod - at the base of the monopod. hence you can effectively erect the monopod to stand unaided should you choose to do so or, alternatively, not extend the feet and operate it as a true monopod......